The causes of a crooked smile can be traced back to the primary teeth and the jaw.
Once the teeth start to come in, the jaw grows to accommodate them. Sometimes the teeth can become overcrowded and misaligned.
People are usually really happy when they can have braces because in a couple of years, their teeth will become straighter and they will more likely become more popular smiling and in photos.
Common Reasons For Braces
There are several reasons why people choose to have braces, such as:
- Spacing between teeth – it is usually linked to when people have a large gap between two teeth which can cause problems for the alignment of your teeth. This can be because of either poor hygiene of your teeth and teeth that have fallen out, or there have been smaller teeth that aren’t the normal size. If this sort of problem were to continue without any dental care, it could lead to much worse problems such as gum disease and more of your teeth starting to become looser than they used to be!
- Overcrowded teeth – when the teeth are overcrowded in your mouth, the most common reason for this is usually because it has been passed down to you genetically where your jaw is too small for the number of teeth you have. Allowing this crowding to continue without getting help to straighten them out may lead to worse issues such as gum disease and mouth ulcers.
- Overjet – this is very similar to an overbite where the top teeth go over the bottom teeth but at a certain angle. This can cause you many issues physically, such as your chewing habits and even having some speech issues. Therefore, it can be very difficult on your mouth and your confidence if problems like these aren’t sorted by your dentist. Braces tend to be the best option for sorting this problem out.
- Underbite – an underbite is the opposite of an overbite, where the teeth underneath reach over the top set of teeth. This can be one of the most uncomfortable alignments and is always hereditary. This problem has a list of other issues that can occur from not getting it sorted. The list starts with snoring, breathing problems, jaw pain and speech problems. These can be very painful and uncomfortable – especially for young children.
- Overbite – an overbite is where the top teeth hang over the bottom set quite a bit and they might keep your mouth open and make it hard for you to shut. This type of issue is not something that is a medical issue, but it is more about the confidence of the individual and having a more aesthetically appealing smile. However, over time, it can have a few issues with the roof of your mouth and might even cause speech problems if not sorted. Braces usually tend to be the best option to sort this out as quickly as possible.
Are Braces Affordable?
As adults, many people avoid getting braces because they are too expensive.
There are different options now where you can pay monthly, but people have more important things to pay for instead of their dental health.
People on dental plans can spread the payments over many years, making this method much more affordable.
It is much better to try and get them when you are younger because they are cheaper and will cause you fewer problems in the future.
Are They Painful?
It is very common for many people to be quite afraid of the dentist and it can make them avoid it altogether.
However, the actual process of getting braces is not painful at all. The only pain you will feel is when your teeth start to move, which is more of aching pain.
Therefore, there is absolutely nothing that you would have to be afraid of because the technology for braces has improved massively.
Different Types Of Braces
There are several different braces depending on whether you want to have the metal versions, which tend to be quite noticeable.
There is also the option of the less visible versions of ceramic braces, which you will see less.
There are also lingual braces which are not visible at all! This is because they are attached to the back of your teeth.
Overall, people get braces for different reasons.
Braces often improve the confidence of some people, in being able to smile in photos and just in general life.
Braces are starting to become more and more modern because you can barely even see some versions now.
In the past, they were quite painful and quite big. Nowadays, you don’t even notice them anymore.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Main Reason For Braces?
Braces are used to move teeth into the ideal position and align how they bite together, known as occlusion.
Malocclusion describes the misalignment of teeth between the upper and lower dental arches, using the first molars as a reference point.
Can You Get Braces For No Reason?
Yes, adults get braces.
But adults getting braces for cosmetic reasons is becoming more common, and it’s something you shouldn’t feel bad about jumping into!
Feeling self-conscious about your teeth can hold you back from so many things in life.