Tonsil stones are an unpleasant problem that can affect absolutely anyone, occurring for many reasons.
These small, hard lumps- which are mineralized build-ups of debris that form around the tonsils- can cause various irritating symptoms, such as bad breath, swollen tonsils, and a sore throat, so it is imperative that you remove the stones as soon as you can if you find that you have them as leaving them could cause minor health problems further down the line.
There are a few different ways that you can go about removing tonsil stones in a way that is comfortable and not too irritating for your tonsils and your throat.
With this in mind, we will be looking at some of the best tonsil stone removal tools currently available and how they work.
We are also going to be going through a handy guide for buyers so that you know exactly what to look for when it comes to a tonsil stone removal tool.
Let's get started!
Best Tonsil Stone Removal Tools
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Oravix tonsil stone removal kit consists of three tools that are designed to easily and comfortably dislodge tonsil stones, intended to be a kit that offers a permanent solution that will keep tonsil stones at bay for good.
The three tools included in the kit are a syringe, a tongue scraper, and a tonsil scoop. Let's have a look at each tool individually.
- Syringe: This syringe has a curved tip that allows for precise removal of tonsil stones.
The 12 ml capacity and pressure control also emphasize the precision with which you are able to flush out the tonsil stones.
The syringe is easy to clean, which is a rare feature with syringes!
- Tongue Scraper: The tongue scraper works as part of the aftercare process, being a tool that will help prevent any new tonsil stones from recurring.
Tongue scraping is an excellent method for dealing with any lingering bacteria and food particles on the tongue, which is what can cause a build-up of debris in the mouth and lead to the formation of tonsil stones.
The tongue scrape is made from surgical stainless steel, has a durable and safe design, and is also very easy to use.
- Tonsil Scoop: The tonsil scoop will allow you to remove the stones from your tonsils with ease.
The scoop features an integrated LED light along with a specialized tonsil nozzle so that you can access all of the hard to get to crevices of your tonsils.
There are also three extra batteries included with the Oravix kit.
As well as these three tools, the Oravix kit also features an in-depth instruction manual that will give you all of the information that you need.
- Three separate tools
- Works to both remove and prevent tonsil stones
- LED light
- Well priced
- Comes with silicone caps and storage case
- Detailed, illustrated user guide
- The syringe needs to be used with care to avoid accidental choking.
This tonsil stone remover kit features a fair amount of items designed to help clear out tonsil stones (as well as remove earwax if needed!). Let's take a look at exactly what you will get in this kit:
- One Tonsil Stone Extractor Tool
- Two Extractor Heads- One 3 inches and one 2.5 inches, both of which feature a silicone cap.
- One Precision Tweezer Head
- One Irrigation Syringe
- One Storage Box
- One Stainless Steel Pick
The extractor tool is incredibly easy to use and allows for the gentle extraction of tonsil stones.
The extractor itself is a decent length too- measuring 6.75 inches long- so that you won't have to worry about any wayward stones going unnoticed.
An LED light gives you a clear line of sight of your tonsils whilst a soft, silicone cap ensures that you remain comfortable whilst you use the tool, preventing any scratching of your throat.
- Extra length ensures that you can reach your tonsils easily
- Silicone caps prevent throat scratching
- Comes with a stainless-steel pick
- A few different extractor head lengths, so you can use the one that suits you best
- LED light
- The extension tips can come loose if not secured properly, so care is needed to ensure that the tips are tight and secure.
This easy-to-use and pain-free tonsil removal kit is another great way to banish tonsil stones for good.
Dr. Frederick’s brand of tonsil stone removal features the following tools:
- Lighted Tonsil Stone Removal Tool
- Oral Irrigator
- Five Attachments: Three small attachments and two long silicone-covered attachments
- Steel Pick
- Three Extra Batteries
- Case for Clean Storage
The oral irrigation syringe loosens and washes out the stones, whilst the reach lifted tip of the removal tool offers an extra bit of length for the hard-to-reach places.
There is also a standard lighted tip, which is your best bet for most situations.
A low-flex lighted tip is great for more stubborn stones thanks to the improved leverage that it offers, whilst a compact, low-flex lighted tip is even stronger in terms of leverage.
The tweezers in the kit are another attachment that makes it easier to grab hold of tougher tonsil stones.
These attachments range from between 6.5cm and 9cm and also have removable silicon slides that can be cleaned with ease.
- Five separate attachments
- Well-sized attachments at a range of lengths
- Case for travel and for hygienic storage
- Well priced
- Lighted tool
- Silicone covers
- The oral irrigation tool has a bit of a sharp tip, so extra care is needed
Whilst this next kit doesn't involve any physical tools, it is still a highly effective way that you can manage your tonsil stones.
This particular kit includes the following:
- Sinus/Nasal drops
- Throat Spray
- Dry mouth lozenges
- AktivOxigen serum
The nasal/sinus drops feature non-habit-forming ingredients that will clean the sinuses whilst aiding with the prevention of tonsil stones, whilst the throat spray is able to get to those hard to reach areas at the back of the throat and the tongue.
The lozenges work by targeting sulfur-producing bacteria and stimulating cleansing salivation, as well as freshening the breath.
The AktivOxigen serum targets the tonsils and the throat specifically, which is the main area where tonsil stones will begin to form.
This set of oral care products works together to prevent and treat tonsil stones as well as generally improve oral health.
The ingredients within the products combat the bacteria that cause tonsil stones to form, whilst also freshening the breath.
- Includes four different products designed to combat tonsil stones as well as aid with general oral hygiene.
- Professional grade products
- Premium oral care
- Bacteria fighting ingredients
- No physical tools
- An expensive choice
This simple yet effective mouthwash is designed specifically to cleanse the tonsils and deal with tonsil stones as well as general swelling and soreness of the area.
As well as preventing the formation of tonsil stones and soothing tonsil discomfort, this mouthwash is also designed to freshen bad breath (which is a common symptom of tonsil stones).
The mouthwash is made from the following ingredients:
- Spearmint Oil
- Aloe Vera
- Goldenseal Root
- Marigold Extract
- Licorice Root Extract
The chemical and alcohol-free nature of the mouthwash allows for a fresher feel that is guaranteed to aid with your oral hygiene as well as promote the prevention of tonsil stones as a whole.
- All natural ingredients
- Designed to cleanse the tonsils and aid with bad breath
- No chemicals or additives, such as sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, and alcohol.
- Soothes as well as cleans
- No physical tools
- Expensive for a mouthwash
There are a few different factors to consider when it comes to tools to aid with the removal and prevention of tonsil stones.
Let's take a look at some of these features.
Physical tools, such as syringes and removal tools, obviously play a big part when it comes to the management of tonsil stones, but there are some products that don't include them that are still able to remove and prevent tonsil stones.
Products such as the mouthwash and the set of TheraBreath oral care products that we mentioned above can work just as effectively and might be preferable for some, especially those who have a very sensitive gag reflex!
Check the product that you are looking at to see if it features physical tools and scrapers so that you know exactly what you are getting, as this will affect how you will effectively remove your tonsil stones.
If you don't like the idea of having to scrape at your tonsils, consider a mouthwash or throat spray, as they will be a little bit less intense on your throat and tonsils.
This only relates to a kit that features physical tools.
Silicone caps are essential to ensure that the inside of your mouth doesn't get scratched when you go about removing your tonsil stones.
Most kits will offer these caps, but make sure that you double and triple-check that the kit you are looking at definitely includes them in the pack before you make a purchase.
As with all things in this life, price is, unfortunately, a factor that most of us have to consider before we buy anything, and tools to remove tonsil stones are no exception!
Some kits are a bit pricier than others, particularly those that have a fair amount of tools or products within the kit itself.
More expensive doesn't necessarily mean a better product, though, as there are tons of cheaper items that help with tonsil stones that are just as effective.
Set yourself a budget and make sure that you stay firmly within it when shopping around for a tonsil stone removal product so that you don't end up with any unexpected expenditure.
This point is directed at consumable oral hygiene items, such as mouthwashes and dietary supplements.
Some of the best quality tonsil stone oral products will feature all-natural ingredients, and this might be a selling point if you would rather steer clear of any artificial ingredients.
The artificial oral hygiene ingredients that you might find include the following:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Artificial Sweeteners
Keep an eye out for these ingredients and avoid them if you are dead set on using a product that is entirely natural.
General Oral Hygiene
Before you go about purchasing a tool, pin down exactly what is it that you want to achieve with the product.
Are you specifically looking to just remove tonsil stones, or do you want to increase your levels of good oral hygiene in general?
There are products that are designed only for tonsil stone removal and/or prevention, but there are also products that are more all-around in terms of what they offer for your oral hygiene.
It can sometimes be a little bit difficult to tell exactly what certain products offer (the packaging of these kinds of products can sometimes be a bit vague!), so make sure that you do your research on the item that you are considering beforehand.
Find out exactly what the product offers and compare this with what it is that you are looking for (don't forget to compare the price with your chosen budget too) before you make your decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Tonsil Stones?
As mentioned, tonsil stones are small, hard lumps that are made up of mineralized bacteria that have built up in the tonsils.
These lumps are either white or yellow in color and have a look that is similar to a pebble.
The sizes can differ, though, with some getting smaller lumps and others getting larger ones.
Tonsil stones are very common, with tons of people not even realizing that they have them.
What Is The Cause Of Tonsil Stones?
You might feel embarrassed or upset if you find that you have tonsil stones, as there is a common misconception that the only reason for them to form is bad oral hygiene.
This is far from the case though, as although poor oral hygiene can cause this, it is certainly not the only cause.
Some of the other reasons behind tonsil stones include the following:
- Having large tonsils
- Chronic sinus issues
- Postnasal drips
- Certain substances getting stuck in the cavities of the tonsils, such as bacterial, dead cells, mucus and food.
- Recurring tonsillitis
- Certain kinds of medication that can cause a dry mouth
- Chewing and smoking tobacco
- Sugars, sucrose, and lactose as these substances can increase acidity and lead to a dry mouth.
What Are The Symptoms Of Tonsil Stones?
One of the most common symptoms of tonsil stones is long-lasting halitosis- otherwise known as bad breath- but there are various other symptoms that can suggest that you might be developing tonsil stones, such as the following:
- Frequent choking or coughing: This can happen if you have a particularly sensitive gag reflex, as you might be able to feel the stones in your mouth.
- Persistent earache: This happens due to the shared nerve pathways of the ears and the throat.
- Swelling and inflammation of the tonsils: This is common in those that deal with tonsillitis regularly, but it can also be a sign of larger tonsil stones hidden in the crevices of the tonsils.
- Metallic Taste: This taste can be strong and if it is particularly bad, it might remain even with regular gargling, flossing, and brushing,
- Difficulty swallowing: This can occur when food pushes against the tonsil stones, which can then cause the sides of your throat to become irritated and make swallowing hard.
- The feeling that something is stuck within your throat: Again, this is because of the stones pushing against the side of your throat. Your swallowing might become difficult, which could lead to that uncomfortable feeling that there is something lodged in your throat.
- A sore and painful throat: Tonsil stones that are on the larger size can dig into your tonsils and cause a lot of pain and soreness. If they are particularly large, they can even cause bleeding as well as bruising.
- White patches in the throat that are visible: This occurs when larger tonsil stones begin to emerge from the crevices that can be found on the tonsils.
- Recurring throat infections that are difficult to treat, even with antibiotics: Large tonsil stones can become an irritant on your throat, leading to a prolonged sore throat and throat infections that cannot be treated normally with medications such as antibiotics.
- Does Sensodyne Have Fluoride? - October 8, 2022
- How White Should Teeth Be? - September 29, 2022
- Do You Have To Wear A Retainer After Invisalign? - September 29, 2022